View Single Post
Old 05-10-09, 03:11 PM

Default SBA rates - unusual rate badge

This rate I am not 100% certain on, but I am speculating that immediately after WWII the RCN experimented with a new medical branch rate badge,{during that late '40's time frame various designs were being prepared for the new rate badges that were intended for the 1949-50 branch badge changeover} of which this design was actually adopted for the new 1950 Medical branch rate badges.
The design was taken from the Staff of Caduceus, which represented the magic wand of the god Hermes, dating from ancient Greek times, & which has been associated with medicine from ancient times {illustration below}

This badge I think dates from that post war to 1949 period. Specialty letters were to be included within the circle of the staff/wings logo. D represented the Dental Assistant specialty.
This in itself is unusual as the RCN had no formal dental branch. The dental services for the RCN were provided by the CADC - Dental Corps of the regular Canadian Army.

This is the only pre 1950 medical badge of this new design I have ever seen.
so am illustrating it 'for the record', instead of any definitive answer on exactly what it represents or signifies.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dental rate.jpg (60.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: png Caduceus.png (7.1 KB, 4 views)