View Single Post
Old 31-07-11, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
I like many others here have stood on the line, and when the time came, I held it fast, and fought, no one ever crept past me or my comrades, ........ ever !!!

My Father stood on the same wall, and fought, his father stood there, and also fought, as did his father !!!

My sons have not, ........... need i say more than that.

When the time comes, who will stand there ???

You, ........ You, ............. or You maybe ?? You'll be too old, old man.

Remember this gentlemen, when the storm comes, remember to close the doors, and open the windows, cos if you don't, it's gonna rip the house to bits.

A sad day isa coming, bow our heads in shame.

FBK
I agree with the sentiment that you express Ken. The way I see it is that it is soldiers that win wars not economists or armchair generals sat on their arses.
There will always be wars to fight whether in fields afar or closer to home, they are fought in our interest in order to preserve our ideals and way of life and always have been. The apologists for our our involvement in the current confilict need to take their heads out of their Ar*** and accept that it is far better to take our enemies on on their home turf than it is to do it on our own streets.
Of course there will be losses within the ranks of our forces and who could not be moved when reminded of this and of the families that are left behind.

What needs to be remembered though is that our soldiers are professionals, "volunteers" who sign up for the life and the risks associated with it. Every time I hear someone say "our poor boys" when referring to our soldiers on operations it makes me cringe. These "Boys" are warriors, a brotherhood of men who believe in what they are doing and all they really ask is for the right kit and a sufficient number of fellow soldiers to enable them to do the tasks that they are trained for without being stretched to the limit.

Besides that, in order to keep an army sharp and trained, conflict has its merits, in fact it is a necessity. It was the view some time back that the best training ground that the British army had in recent times was Northern Ireland. Some may find that unpallatable but it was true. In a perfect world there would be no war or need for armies and we could all sit back and relax, the world in its current turmultuous state though is far from perfect and to maintain a field force large enough to counter current and future threats is in my opinion the only sensible course.

Ry