Thread: True or False?
View Single Post
Old 13-12-18, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
In my opinion the pioneer badge is original.

I don’t think a comparison of corrosion on a badge is a suitable method for determining fake or original. Any corrosion is more to do with the conditions that badge has been stored since manufacture - climate, moisture, temperature, against leather, etc.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
Welcome to the discussion Keith.

The badge in question is a beyond doubt a copy, but is it a war time copy?

To me the bright finish and lack of patina was really just a warning sign, as the sand casting process usually leaves a residue of oxides and silicates which over time, and depending on the quality of brass, usually oxidises to some extent.
However, I did consider that the badge may have been recently chemically or ultrasonically cleaned.

My leaning to it being a modern copy is mostly to do with its construction and lack of characteristics that would determine it to be a “RARE Genuine Sand-Cast WW1 era” badge.

Looking at the sellers badge, the front has some interesting pock marks with no detail to the back of the badge, suggesting to me the badge was open cast.

The two examples that I have borrowed from other threads both have a grainy/sandy texture to the fronts that is common to WW1 NZ sand cast badges, the 14th Regiment badge shows reverse detail that I believe is from using a typical sand cast mould.

Brent