View Single Post
Old 28-07-11, 08:40 PM

I don't think it's off topic at all Tony, it in my opinion put's into perspective the cut's in the military; but nah, sorry, Germany isn't self sufficient in raw materials as you think. In fact the UK had in the form of oil, coal, natural gas etc etc; more or equal. In the gas and oil 100% more. Germany rely's now on the ex Soviet Union for pretty much all of it' natural gas and oil. Hence the reason why they don't want to get involved in Iraq, they don't need that oil. Don't know of any defense treaty obligations either with Iraq or in Afghanistan for the Brit's.
On the raw materials for Britain, if we actually made anything I agree we need those imports. But the day's are long gone for the need of raw cotton, iron ore, timber, rubber, etc etc. They are all going to China as that's where it's all made. When manufacturing come's back, you can go buy a bigger army.
Don't get me wrong, it is very upsetting with the setting of the sun on the Empire, and you couldn't get more British than myself and spend many hours defending the UK all over the US since being here for 15 years. But I do get tired of us as always fighting our buddies battles in Europe for these precious raw materials. It is sad to see those regiments with such long histories go, but let others get their regiments some battle honors; our's have enough.

When the Brit's come to terms with the diminishing presence in the world and go back to making money as we did at the beginning of the Empire with innovation (when our standing armies were always the smallest), will be our best avenue to go.

No offense is meant, and just my opinion.

Regards
Simon.