View Single Post
Old 28-11-15, 05:12 PM

I'm not qualified to pass comment on the reason why this person would want to wear medal ribbons in such a manner (assuming it is legitimate for him to do so). What I find disturbing is that any ex-forces personnel would want to, and in so doing advertise their past to all and sundry. Nothing wrong with that in normal times, but we are now living in a dangerous world, where some elements of society take offence to such practices, and can/have taken action against it in their own twisted way, Lee Rigby being one example. I suppose it depends on where you live, and your assessment of the threat level. Just be aware.

A question on medals. At my annual reunion a few years ago a chap appeared wearing the Malaysian Pinjat Jasa tagged on to the end of his other medals. "You can't wear that there" says I. "Don't give a stuff, I've been presented with it so I'll wear it." (I was wearing mine, but on the right breast, as a foreign award should be). Subsequently, and after much campaigning and questions in the House, the Queen authorised that this award could be worn with British awards on the left breast.

This year, the same chap appeared sporting a silver jubilee medal. "Are you entitled to wear that?" I said.
"If you were serving at the time you are entitled to wear it, but at your own expense."
"I think not" says I. "If you weren't awarded it then you are not entitled to wear it."
This medal caused much controversy and bitterness at the time. A very limited issue, (the unit I was with got 3, which went to the Colonel, RSM and youngest soldier). This compared to the latest two jubilee medals which seem to have been issued to every man and his dog!
So what is the protocol? If you were serving at the time of issue, can you wear it, but at your own expense, and accepting that it will be a 'copy'?

I have Googled the question but can't come up with a definitive answer.