Thread: S.A. Marines
View Single Post
Old 19-08-18, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have a badge I picked up this morning which I think is South African Marines, I have tried to find this online, with little success, any help appreciated.

Rob
South African Marine Corps. Raised in 1951 it was a resuscitation of the SA Coast Artillery including the Coast Artillery Brigade Band with some additions. It comprised eight Regiments and a Training Unit, Permanent Force, and seven Coast Regiments, a Heavy Battery, two Anti-Aircraft Regiments and four Batteries and three Radar Companies, Active Citizen Force, serving all over the Union and South West Africa.

The unit was broken up in 1954, the units comprising it including the Cape Garrison Artillery, SA Coast Artillery and the SA Permanent Garrison Artillery became part of the South African Naval Forces.

The original ceremonial dress was blue with an orange stripe down the trousers. After being disbanded they wore naval uniform, the double-necked jacket as worn by petty officers being worn instead of the blue jumper.

This is their basic history Rob, and yes not a badge one sees every day. You have a very nice crisp example.