Thread: Royal Sussex
View Single Post
Old 13-07-19, 09:50 PM

Hello Pete,

Sorry to say, that I don't have a copy of the photo. I made a note of the fact that there was two sizes, but now can't remember where I got the info or saw the info.

The use of Mess Waiters buttons in Sergeants mess is a possibility. And would go some way to explaining why the same button design can be found in both Silver and Gilt. For post 1881 buttons - there is a thought that the different metals (Silver & Gilt) were used to signify the Mess of 1st and 2nd Battalions - but that is only guess work and is us trying to find a likely reason for the use of different metals. It could just be something as simple as one Colonel liked Gilt Buttons and the next Colonel liked Silver buttons.

As far as I know and I would love to be proved wrong - there is no known pattern of Mess Waiters button to the 107th Regt of Foot (Bengal Infantry) - which post 1881 made up the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment.

I will let you know if I come across any more info on the Mess waiter buttons of the Royal Sussex Regiment.

Cheers

Ian