View Single Post
Old 11-07-19, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Does that mean it was sold off to a retailer, for scrap or something like that? Also when did these markings be in common usage? Never come across them before and first time I've heard of them too! But!! helps to confirm its not a fantasy but a good badge!

Many thanks hopefully some more infi will pop up? All the best billy
Hi Billy, Tim,

The two broad arrow marks (sold out of service) are commonly found on WW1 Lee Enfield (SMLE) rifles here in NZ. I was told years ago by the old guys at the rifle club that I belonged to (Petone Rifle Club based at Trentham) that when they were young men they would go to the Trentham army camp gates and buy them from the guard room sergeant for 10 bob each (50p).

Used them to go deer hunting/culling with and I owned one so marked for quite some years regularly shooting handloads at the range after formal shooting. Also, when a well liked and respected officer left he would often be given one as a going away gift - these being from a stash specially selected by the armourer. i.e. a good 'un.

Must have been great times...

Regards,

Chris

PS Sorry to go off topic but the marks are per UK and Commonwealth military usage.

Last edited by hagwalther; 11-07-19 at 07:58 AM.