View Single Post
Old 28-07-12, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Man of Kent View Post
Not sure if this helps too much, but I live in East Kent where the buffs are the local regiment and thus my father collected extensively to this regt (as well as lots of other ares!!). I was collecting A/A. The Buffs was one of the harder AA badges to get and my smith & wright one took ages to find and has only half a slider - certainly no R on the back. I will check the ones in my fathers collection, which is now mine, when I get a chance. Anyway, at some point in the 80's a batch of about 50 mint Buff badges came out of the regimental stores - a dealer I know got them and was selling them for about £25 each, which drastically reduced the rarity of this badge. But I never looked on the back of them!! The dealer has always been very straight and never passed off repoductions without stating what they were. I also think if there were any repro's made for an anniversary/event etc we would have heard about it, as we knew the local scene very well. As I said not sure it helps too much.
Hi Harry,

few points from our PM messages which are probably relevant here for others.

The 'R' Buffs is the only mark known and is on a later Smith & Wright slider. Taking on board what you have said:

The slider the badge is on is a more modern S&W item which is more akin to the William Dowler & Son (who took over S&W in 1961 later to be taken over by Firmin). Now, the Buffs were amalgamated in 1961 so I do find it hard to believe that it was an official issue item based on the regiments dates and type of slider. Of course, I may well be wrong.

Can you remember exactly what year you received the badge - I have it in the book as 1980's.

Note that during the 1980's quite a few very high profile dealers (one who was also a very prominent author on the subject of badge collecting) have been traced back to getting 'unofficial commissions' made by certain badge makers - Gaunt was the prime maker of these repros but there may well have been others.

This is not to take anything away from your dealer friend but I'm not sure that the military ever sold off stock directly to the public. If he got the stock from the maker then yes, that would seem more appropriate as the makers often kept a stock of badge of all units they catered for as an emergency reserve for good will purposes. When the unit no longer existed then the stock would obliviously be surplus to requirements.

Regards

Chris