View Single Post
Old 28-10-20, 09:16 AM

Paddy
Fascinating, it looks to have been brooch mounted as well at some point. The globe and laurels are from an unusual die that so far I’ve only seen used for RMLI. Would like to see the tips of the laurels under glass.

I think with the RME series of badges you pays your money and takes your chances, they were field made and given the nature of the unit they were handy with tools but sadly so are the fakers. They are a bit similar to the RMSM badge quandary - I have a group photo that shows some wearing the ‘skinny’ globe and laurel, some wearing an RMLI cap badge and others wearing an RMLI cap badge with the strings removed - I have all three badges but no idea on the last when the strings were removed.

I’d certainly keep hold of it, one day there will be an affordable test for looking at the composition of the metals.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
John

I wonder where I got most of the information from. My badge number 4 was picked up in 2014 I believe which is round about the time you published Personal Distinctions I believe. It was bought in a lot with other genuine army badges and it was not individually identified. I have seen a lot of the one piece ones on ebay and have never liked them but this one is of a different construction than any of the other ones I have seen. I have attached a picture of the back of the badge so you can see it is not a 1 piece strike like the ebay ones and this one has also had a brooch pin fitted at some time although now missing. This one is in my pending drawer and has been since I bought it as I can't be sure about it's authenticity.

Paddy