View Single Post
Old 23-10-20, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I guess that both are possible but the backplate could, conceivably, be worn separately although there is a small tube for the pin from the 1916 badge to fit. I'll photograph the badge together and disassembled for you, if I've not already done so.
The photos of the disassembled badge are here.

If I had only seen a photo of the backplate then I may have gone for "Thomas Firth & Sons" but when the two pieces are combined the letters would read National Projectile Factory Thomas Sons which doesn't make sense.

but National Projectile Factory Templeborough Sheffield seems right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Meanwhile here is another 1915 badge and cert to conjure with. I didn't bother with the front as it is unremarkable. "M" for "metals"?

No, much as Ticker said in his excellent post from a year or two back.
The "M" series were only produced by , and marked , “J. R. Gaunt & Son Ltd London Warranted Fire Gilt” , so if the letter indicated a trade/position then it would raise a couple of points :

Why use only 13 different letters , all basically from latter half of alphabet ?

Basic logistics , some of the "series"(letters) were only produced by certain manufacturers so if a factory wanted badges for different trades/positions they could possibly have to get them from 4 or 5 manufacturers ?

Maybe , one day , a document will turn up which clarifies this but until then I think Tickers explanation is the most likely scenario.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted