View Single Post
Old 19-05-20, 02:34 PM

Default Yorkshire Regiment Brassard.

Dear all,
Bought this brassard off e### and on receipt photographed it to add to my albums. I then noticed some interesting markings on it. At the top a padded rectangle of red felt added to the red stripe? Halfway down the red stripe is a "U" embroidered in, and at the bottom are 2 very faint outlines of letters?
These are best seen on the photograph of the back. A quick check of the Yorkshire Regt cap badge, which has a slider, shows that were I to cut a very small hole at the front top of the "U", the cap badge would slip neatly in. The top of the "U" is seen by the red thread in the centre of the back.
The letters were another problem. I had seen similar brassards with "RP" for Regimental (fatherless) Police on, but that didn't fit properly. A bit of experimentation with cardboard and scissors showed that the only letters that fitted were "PS", for Provost Sgt. The letters being approx 2 inches high and presumably made of sheet brass?
I took a photo of the front of the brassard with the cap badge and letters in place.
A few questions. Does anybody have a photograph of such a brassard being worn? Does anybody have any PS letters in brass they can let me have (for money) and does anybody know what the rectangle at the top is for?
Regards,
Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200519_141724.jpg (27.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20200519_141602.jpg (46.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20200519_141534.jpg (22.1 KB, 33 views)