View Single Post
Old 22-03-21, 04:39 PM

Hi Herford Annie,

I have righted your photograph which has enabled me to have a better look at the uniform, Dark Blue serge button at the front with white shirt, children appear to be wearing, holding or in one case having it side ways on his head, (helpful as it enables one to see the ribbons hanging at the rear) a Glengarry. The standard colour of the Glengarry as an undress headdress during this period in the military would have been dark blue, however, it would appear the headdress in the photograph is of a grey material, moreover, has the Scottish dicing, see photograph example attached to give you an idea, if your photo had been in colour, also I have attached a photograph of a military Glengarry worn by my regiment and the write up on the Glengarry from my book. It should also be taken into consideration that Militia units during this period wore Grey coloured uniforms so the headdress may have been ready available to purchase by the school, they appear similar in dress and appearance to the children of the Queen Victoria School Dumblane, which was set up by the Queen to educate servicemen's children and still do so to this day.
Kind regards
Hiram Dunn

14. Glengarry Cap. Worn 1874 until 2006.
The Glengarry was first introduced in 1874 as an undress headdress and was worn by all ranks, the issue pattern glengarry cap has not changed in all its years of service, made of dark blue cloth with a red worsted toorie sewn central on the crown, the headband is of black silk, in some instances leather, ending with two silk ribbon tails hanging down at the rear, a band of red, white and dark green dicing runs around the glengarry, with a black ribbed rosette of silk stitched on the left side on which the regimental badge is worn. The Pipers glengarry carries no dicing. The badges worn on the glengarry by officers and soldiers of the regiment have varied in design during its long service. Moreover, badges that were worn on the glengarry as well as another headdress, will be mentioned in the write up of that particular badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trial.jpg (73.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Diced Fawn Glengarry.jpg (67.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg KOSB505.jpg (24.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Borderer; 22-03-21 at 04:49 PM.