View Single Post
Old 15-04-19, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
I'll be perfectly honest with you and admit that I've never believed that it was a button for a Barrackmaster either. I've seen quite a few of them advertised as such and I just wanted to know where they got the information re it's identity from. Or is it simply, as is so often the case, the initials just happen to fit the title.

I know that Barrackmasters did exist in the past in RN barracks but these were all serving naval personnel. As such they wore RN uniform, so why would they even need a special button?

I get tired of the 'identification' of such buttons without any information to back them up. And even more annoyingly everyone else then goes on to use that spurious identification to identify their own examples of the button and it spreads until it is accepted as gospel by the collecting community.

For some reason naval buttons seem particularly prone to this problem.

Pete
Hi Pete, a bit off the original question, but maybe a point of interest? In 1983, before I joined up, I was employed by the Admiralty as a Labourer Gardener and worked in the grounds of the wardroom and barracks of HMS Nelson, at that time the barrack Master was a retired Chief Petty Officer, who wore a CPO's uniform but was not a serviceman but a Civil Servant! similarly, the Officer in command of the Royal Naval Reserve New Entry Division at HMS Raleigh wore the uniform and rank of a Lieutenant Commander but was a retired officer and a Civil Servant. In both cases buttons were most certainly standard RN buttons for their rank.

Hope its of interest?

Regards

Tony