View Single Post
Old 27-11-21, 12:44 PM

Hi. Interesting discussion, thought I would offer my 2 cents worth

RNZAF Air Signaler (talking RNZAF at home and in the pacific here, not EATS or other 'RNZAF in RAF' serviceman)

The RNZAF did not split Wireless Operator/Air Gunner (WOp/AG) as the RAF did. They retained the dual qualification and award of the 'AG' brevet (as did the RAAF and RCAF). This is why there are no RNZAF wartime 'S' brevets in cloth or metal

At the end of the war all aircrew training was suspended (and AG was abolished altogether, expect for 4 which were trained ad-hoc for 5 sqn in 1949). Between 1945 and 1952 Wireless Operators were drawn from experienced ex-wartime aircrew or ground wireless operators and trained on an ad-hoc bases by the respective squadron (generally 5 sqn, I believe).
In 1952 training was restarted with the establishment of the Air Navigator and Air Signals School and official training of Air Signalers commenced. I believe, this will be when the 'S' brevet was officially established within the RNZAF.
I would say that the converted versions of the 'S' metal brevet, discussed above, were 'created' to be worn by those trained between 1945 and 1952 (or until stock of the new brevet was sourced) as an unofficial award along the lines of the RAF 'S' brevet.
Just to finish the loop, Air Signals was phased out with the introduction of the Air Electronic Officer/Operators from 1966.

I have attached a picture of the 'S' metal brevet in my collection, which I believe is an official version and is of consistent construction with the other metal brevets from the 1960s 'Pilot', 'QM' & 'AE' (I wonder if the 'N' and 'E' brevets made in this period were made using the original 1944 dies).
Padre maybe your 'S' is an unfinished version (not chromed) of the 1960s metal brevet as it appears to be similar just unfinished (though I would need to see the front).
1970s construction has slight differences (the font and the back) to the 1960s and includes all trades 'N', 'E', 'AE', 'AO', 'LM', 'HC' and 'Canopy' (PJI) of the period.

One final thing relating the RAF
Quote:
Air Ministry Order A.1242/43, which stated that the title 'Signaller' replaced the previous title of 'Wireless Operator / Air Gunner'
I believe the title Wireless Operator/Air Gunner was replaced by the title Wireless Operator(Air) (WOp(AIR)) and that Signaller wasn't used mid 1945 sometime. This may have been clarified by the AMO A.244/1944 dated 23 March which amplified AMO A.1242/1943 (one reference for this is "Observers and Navigators" by WGCDR (RTD) C.G Jefford updated and expanded edition pg 259&260)