View Single Post
Old 23-11-20, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up

Nice badges , the Women's Section one is a standard bearer belt plate badge. I have one with a smaller 'lion head' that has a Gaunt makers mark and two screw post fittings. Gaunt had the original contract for BL badges (1921-1928) and then the Birmingham Medal Co. took over until 1945/46 when Gaunt got the contract back.

EDIT : Just spotted that your badge has a safety pin fitting , I've seen an example with two 'tabs' so wonder if yours is a 'modified' version ?

BL badges were made with the larger lion head until 1945 when the smaller size was introduced , so I would guess your's is pre 1945.

The Cubs badge is fantastic ! Here are some details I found on-line :

"The Cubs were introduced in 1935 and each month details were sent to its members telling the stories of "Peter and the Gang"

Members of the club under the age of fourteen and war orphans were given their own badge and membership card and were encouraged to do good deeds for ex-servicemen.

The club didn't survive the war however being "disbanded" due to a paper shortage in 1941."

There is a British Legion Affiliated Scout Troop cloth badge for wearing on the uniform, but not a metal one. It takes the form of a blue badge with the British Legion emblem in yellow on it and the wording underneath the emblem."

The Birmingham Medal Co. had the contract for BL badges , from 1928-1945 , so that fits in with when the badge was issued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS Belt Plate.jpg (71.7 KB, 10 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 23-11-20 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added info