View Single Post
Old 15-10-22, 04:38 PM

I stand by my comment on this Badge the pattern used is an officers pattern KOSB badge, a genuine example attached to this post (picture 2), points to note: the regimental title in the circlet is fretted as is the top scroll, the Lion on the the Royal Crest crisp with no spare metal around it, (unlike to bronze example picture in this thread) the lower scroll is curved indicating that it is an officers pattern, OR's Pattern badges have a wave pattern lower scroll, see attached example (picture 1). In conclusion this is a poor restrike of and officers pattern cap badge in a rough metal not authorised and backed up by a sealed pattern.

I refer you to Cap Badges of the First World War. Part 1. - The Regular Forces. By Julian Bowsher and David Linaker This paper was a paper the first of two articles to deal with WW1 cap badges authorised by the War Office and the metals used. Page 86 of this paper and I quote: All Scottish badges were in White Metal except that of the Royal Scots which, of course, was now made in all Gilding Metal (GM), new dies would have been created for these one metal (all GM) badges, thus the design will not necessary have been identical to the previous By Metal pattern of the RS.
I have published this paper on the forum in the past for members who wish to read it in detail, a search should bring it up.

I reiterate: I know my Regiment having served in it for 25 years and wrote three books about our Uniforms, Badges and Insignia, so I feel that I can speak as authority on my Regiment. By all means if you have a bronze KOSB cap badge it is not a real authorised Pattern KOSB badge, it is a fake created by money making fraudsters, it is your choice to do what you wish with it, but at the end of the day it is a fake.

Please be aware, knowing you subject will always help you make the right choice, there are experts in the field of badges and insignia on this forum who are more than willing to help and give genuine helpful advise for free.

Warm regards
Hiram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3695.jpg (40.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3572.jpg (34.9 KB, 44 views)