View Single Post
Old 14-08-18, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
I have had this lying around for a while now. I dont even remember where it came from, but it is an oddity. At first glance , it is the common WW2 SA Tank Corps beret badge. According to Owen's book, the badge was in white metal and worn from September 1941 to March 1943. The badge illustrated is of chrome metal and has 2 screw posts instead of the more conventional lugs. One finds screw fittings on SADF beret badges, but if you go back to before say 1960 one only really found screw fittings on pouch and cross belt badges. Was it made for a movie ? Can anyone throw some light on this ?
Thanks
Mike
Mike

Not always pressed white metal, seen them in brass, bronze and lead as well. This looks like one of those Egyptian bronze castings that has been upgraded with a coat of chrome and addition of some screw posts, the screw heads being left on. Never seen another like it but don't think it is period done. Looks like solder has been used? One could always check the screws and see if they are Imperial or Metric to pin point when these modifications were done. Just my 2 cents worth!

Brian