View Single Post
Old 11-03-13, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
Hi Pylon1357,

I don't have a medals index card. I beg your pardon but I was wrong; it wasn't his discharge papers (which I also have) but a Statement of Service from 1980. Under point 8 (medals and decorations) it lists the 4 medals. I wouldn't question that, except I have the bar ribbon for the 1939-45 Star and I know that he should have qualified based on service time.

Cheers,

Rob
Hello Rob, I know of the Statement of service form you are talking about.

As for the issuing of the 1939-45 Star, it is not based solely on time served, but where the time is served. The qualifications for this particular Star is IMO, the complicated of them all.

I have prime example of a soldier serving in the Irish Regiment of Canada, the fellow joined in 1940, went to the UK with the Regiment, but was held back in other duties in the UK. He was able to get to Holland for a brief time, then returned to the UK. before the war ended. His entitlement was France and Germany Star, CVSM with O/S clasp, War Medal and Defense Medal.

His statement of service does not list his as being awarded it, he does not have the actual medal, just a piece of ribbon. Based on this, I would have to say the ribbon piece may simply be something he picked up.

At this point, without his Medals index card, it is impossible to say for sure if he was in fact entitled to this Star.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca