View Single Post
Old 19-02-12, 03:54 PM

Default ‘Owl-eyed’ Tigers

Hi Alan

Sorry I didn’t put up a reply to your posting before now, but I needed to photograph some of my badges first. Anyway, yes I think your latest badge is indeed the exact same maker’s type as your other one, and which I personally believe is the design style/type made by Gladman & Norman. When I first started collecting Leicesters badges a couple of years ago I was warned off these ‘owl-eyed’ tiger badges, mainly because you can pick them up brand new on ebay and through various other military surplus/badge sites. I’m afraid my opinion about them being modern repros has merely become reinforced since then, especially after I bought this small carded collection last year:

As you should be able to see all but one of these badges, the all-brass TF one, are the same maker’s type. The interesting thing is that most of them have marked sliders to three different manufactures, all of which I believe are fake: “Lambourne & Co. Birmingham”, “Smith & Wight Ltd Birmingham” and “Butler 48 Victoria St Birmingham”. I’ll attach photos of backs of three of the above badges with these different marks so you can see, but it should be obvious that all the marks are in a very similar front with what look to be the same proportions to the lettering. I personally think it would be impossible for three different makers to produce badges of exactly the same style/type, and am therefore convinced the slider marks are fake. I would, however, draw short of claiming that the manufacturer of these badges also put the fake marks on them, rather I suspect that some unscrupulous person/persons bought these reproduction Leicestershire and Uppingham badges direct from the maker and then stamped the sliders with a variety of marks themselves so as to increase their return. Incidentally I have also seen an example of this type with “Gladman & Norman Spencer St. B’ham” on its slider, but don’t have one myself to directly compare with the fake marks.

Best regards

Martin

P.S. As to the badges in my album – they are just Gaunt’s design type, and I don’t personally believe that Gaunt made an all-brass/gilding metal version; at least I haven’t yet seen one that I thought was genuine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake Lambourne & Co.jpg (55.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Fake Smith & Wright Ltd.jpg (53.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Fake Butler 48 Victoria St.jpg (51.4 KB, 72 views)

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”