View Single Post
Old 24-09-21, 08:09 AM

Default Royal Indian Marine collection

I have been checking through my records and I can't find a single image or any information on pre-1934 Indian naval ratings insignia. Plenty after 1934 when the RIM became the RIN (Royal Indian Navy) but none before. Of course in 1934 the RIN adopted Royal Navy insignia and badges, so that doesn't really help.

I have some books from the 1920s which include information on the navies of the Dominions and colonies. I'll check in those later but I seem to recall that they mainly feature images of ships rather than personnel.

It is very hard to find Indian ratings badges in the UK, unlike Indian naval officers insignia which turn up fairly regularly. I guess that is because , until 1923, all Indian naval officers were British and when they retired or left the service they brought their uniforms home with them. Officers buttons from all periods are quite common but I was lucky to pick up some Indian ratings buttons a couple of years ago. They feature the same design as the officers buttons but without the rope edge, etc. Mine are fairly crudely made and were most probably produced in India during the Second World War.

One final thought about your badge. Since it has a purple background to the anchor it is probably connected with engineering in some way.

I'll let you know if I find any further information.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II