View Single Post
Old 10-03-19, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Most of us have German some Italian items in our collection some of mine brought back by family members and other people I have met. And some I have bought.

I often do displays for the Royal British Legion RAFA etc and they encourage telling History

I even have some Japanese items my Great Uncle Joe served in the Far East and was wounded out GSW

I have a. Piece of German bomber Italian badges Africa corp items brought back by his brother Uncle Sid who served in North Africa Italy F&G their cousin Joe Motteram South Staffordshire Regiment was Killed in Normandy Battle for Caen these items came to me through my Dad.

They are historic items from a bygone age and I for one do not feel any animosity to this cap being shown.infact find it interesting
Regards

Stephen
The only items to do with the war service of my relatives that I have are some medals, badges, paybooks, photos etc, and a bayonet. If they picked up souvenirs during their service then they're long gone.
I've just remembered - Grandad Buckingham's souvenir Mauser from his RN service in China in the 1920's.
As far as I know the only fatality in my family during the two world wars was a relative who died at Changi as a prisoner of war.
I would imagine that WWII militaria is a popular subject for presentations, perhaps more so if it has a local connection?
It really is "proper history" nowadays, not just a fairly recent occurrence as it was when I was a child playing on bomb sites and showing a mild interest in the gas masks hanging on cellar doors and Anderson shelters.