View Single Post
Old 11-02-10, 03:34 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faugh-A-Ballagh View Post
Something which I have learned this week, which I can't believe I have never noticed before. I certainly don't think I've ever seen it on a thread, and a very simple one too. Courtesy of an acquaintance who knows more about the Rifles than anyone else I know off.

For many years I assumed that there was no difference between Kings Crown white metal Royal Irish Rifles and Royal Ulster Rifles OR's cap badges.

What I learned is the difference is in the crowns.

The Royal Irish Rifles having a smaller crown than the later Royal Ulster Rifles.

My recent acquisition - courtesy of Kiwisapper has the smaller crown.

My other pair have the slightly larger crown. I thought that the one with the darker metal and hair-pin slider was an early example, but it turns out not to be the case. So after a long time of looking at the scroll ends, and not much else, I feel rather enlightened! It might make identification of fake blackened brass ones that bit easier.

John
John,
although I may be wrong, I think the crowns (size and shape) may just be down to differing manufacturers? I do not have my badges with me for reference and I do not claim to be an expert on the "Rifles" (RIR/RUR) however I am sure that I have a Lambourne marked badge (WW1 era) that has a large crown.

A romatic theory I feel? I've heard the same one about the Royal Fusiliers and the 1-4th Londons, the later supposing to have a smaller crown, which I feel is pure fantasy?

In 1920 when "Irish" in the title became "Ulster" I would have thought that the only change would have been "I" to "R" in titles or a replacing/changing of wording? I cannot honestly see that cap badges were changed?

My opinion only and as always I am open to correction!

Andy