Thread: LRDG
View Single Post
Old 25-01-20, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edyc7 View Post
The cast badges were extensively rubbed when in use during the war as were most badges.
I pointed out the cephalothorax was widely split in comparison to the reproduction badges. No amount of rubbing could do that. No amount of rubbing could cause the reversal of vertical abdominal lines from being on top of the horizontal ones to below them.

The circles on the cephalothorax are raised on the fake reproduction badges whereas the lines on the cast badges are linear and not raised but are grooves. These grooves are also found on the early die stamped badges. Investigating images of desert scorpions will show that these groves are actually present on some species.This points to the fact that the creator of these early cast badges had some knowledge of the scorpion anatomy as was the case in the later war badges were the tiny median eyes appeared.
As for the tail touching leg , this was present on the first LRDG,NZ LRP badge and was probably there to strengthen the tail.

I put it to you that the reproduction badges made in the 70’s may have been modelled after these early cast badges.
Interesting, the LRDG badge you pictured on the left is one that I originally posted, it was from a suit case of items that belonged to Major-General D. L. Lloyd Owen.

To be honest, in my books heavily worn/defaced and cast LRDG badges are always a bit of a big red flag, but the lugs on the one in question tick some boxes for me, which is something fakers always get wrong, so I think its worth rattling the cage to see what comes out.

I have to ask, what’s your interest, why didn’t you buy it when you personally handled it, if you knew it was pukka it must have been a bargain given its condition?