Thread: LRDG
View Single Post
Old 25-01-20, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
If it’s from a die stamped badge then why is there no relief or reverse detail to the back of the badge as this would have been copied in the casting process?
Without having a hands on with the badge in question, and just going by the pictures on ebay, it could be possible that there is a slight depression on the reverse of the scorpion, that has been protected from the file, something that appears to be black paint.
Quote:
Does this die stamped badge you speak of have a raised outer rim on the circlet? I bet not. It’s clear to see this fake had one which has been filed away.
The die stamped LRDG badge that I have referred to, is the same variation that was owned by Shaun Aumua which I mentioned in post #26, who also owned the other LRDG badge that you provided a link for in post #23.
I have some photos of Shaun’s die stamped touching tail LRDG badge, when I find them it will post the pictures.
Quote:
The appendages, their length, shape, segments, the angles of the segments, proportions and attachment points to circlet, letters and other appendages all match the MM fake exactly (notwithstanding the missing end of the back right leg).
The MM fake you have posted in post #33, I believe is an exact copy of the 1970s reproduction LRDG badge that was made by Russell King Badges for the British LRDG Association.
It is my opinion, and it does stand to reason, that the Russell King design would have been based on a genuine LRDG badge, with the addition of a pebbled wheel so it could be easily identified as a reproduction.
Quote:
The scorpions body segments whilst intentionally worn down also match, so does their shape, lines and number.
The letters appear to be the only thing which at a glance one would think don’t immediately match. However, again I’m certain has been aided by a poor cast and a file. Note how the L has a very fat horizontal line but almost anorexic vertical on both.
Someone with a fake badge, a file and the means to make a casting has set out to do a job here and make a rare ‘theatre made’ badge.
Again, without having a hands on with the badge in question and a close inspection with a jewellers loop, I cant even be a 100% sure from the pictures supplied that the badge is actually cast, it could be that some plonker has stupidly used a wire buff or sand paper to clean it, which is something I have witnessed before with a collector here in New Zealand.

Anybody able to supply a picture of the back of a MM fake badge?

Last edited by atillathenunns; 25-01-20 at 04:43 AM.