View Single Post
Old 24-11-08, 01:07 AM

I have some theories and clues on the origins of the 73rd maple leaf cap badge, but am still hoping to find some definitive proof. Will keep digging before I offer what I THINK to be the truth behind these badges.

I've been quite certain for many years that it was never worn. If anyone has a photo of it in wear I would dearly love to see it.

I have quite a few photos of the 73rd...many of their training in Canada before going overseas, and in every photo the only (cap) badges in wear are clearly the Black Watch style glengarry badges. Later (overseas) photos all seem to have the same badges as well.

I do know that the maple leaf collars were worn (at least by officers) in Canada and England, but they were changed to St Andrew pattern before the battalion proceeded to France. Thus, all maple-leaf pattern badges were likely made in 1915, or very early 1916.

Hans, in 1914 many members of the 13th battalion (at least those who were pre-war members of the 5th RHC) wore the familiar "Boar's Head" glengarry badge. I suspect others wore the CEF General Service Badge, until the white metal 13th battalion badge was available. The battalion appears to have worn standard CEF GS maple leaf collar badges until sometime mid-late 1915.

Cheers,

Adam