Thread: CYCLISTS BADGE
View Single Post
Old 01-12-17, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
So what would the opinion be of the one I have shown ? As it is sown down on one side and the method of the sowing and the thread used is common to the other badges on the belt,so period badge?

Thanks Jack
Jack,

I would certainly say that your badge is of the same period as the other badges on the belt, i.e. mounted during or shortly after the Great War. That said, as a young lad in the 1960's, I can remember dustmen wearing leather belts fitted with cap badges which may, or may not, have been collected during the war. There were an awful lot of surplus 'army badges' knocking around in 1968 when I acquired my first cap badge from a junk shop.

As I have said, my preference is that Great War cap badges have certain characteristics such as tapered sliders, sweat holes, crimp marks and have a clearly defined striking. I fully acknowledge that not all these features will appear in all cap badges of the period due to wartime production methods and that sweat holes will not appear on badges which require no brazing. Sweat holes themselves have now become a minefield as these are being added to modern fakes.

My personal policy is to get the best possible example of each badge no matter how common the cap badge is. To this end I prefer to get badges with provenance from house clearances rather than buy from the internet. It can be a haphazard method of collecting but I am constantly amazed by what turns up as in my recent Manchester Regiment finds.

Simon