Thread: CYCLISTS BADGE
View Single Post
Old 28-11-17, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
RAD, without actually handling your badge it is always difficult from a screen image to ascertain whether a badge is an original or a copy, well it is for me and I don't often comment on peoples badges and their authenticity.

However, during the time of the Great War when the Army cyclist Corps badges were manufactured there were a number of companies who produced badges, not all used the same process to obtain the end product I'm sure and there is knowone who worked on them around now to ask.

Crimp marks and named sliders seem now to be the hallmark of a "good" badge with many collectors, but when I first started collecting some sixty plus years ago named sliders were not much in evidence on pre WWII other ranks cap badges, I have some truly poorly manufactured badges which I was given when I first started collecting, I would say if the majority of people saw them at a fair they would dismiss them as poor reproductions yet I know they are original and that is why I find it difficult to comment on badges.

However, in this instance I would say your second badge looks good enough for someone who rides a Great War bicycle to wear, others may have a different opinion.

Rob
Rob , thank you for your plain speaking and common sense ..... I shall keep this second badge and use it .... I appreciate your honesty and lack of 'mystery' surrounding the topic, cheers, Rad.