View Single Post
Old 24-02-14, 07:57 PM

Default Thacker’s Indian Directory, Including Burma & Ceylon, 1937-8

Apologies for not getting ’round to posting up the following entries from Thacker’s Indian Directory, Including Burma & Ceylon, 1937-8, Embracing The Indian Empire, Burma & Ceylon last night as I’d hoped. Anyway, here are a couple of relevant entries from this for Aligarh, namely that for the ‘Industrial Factory & Lock Works’, and one for T. L. Sharma & Co. Interstingly at this earlier date there wasn’t an entry for the ‘Eden & Co.’ shown in the 1940-41 directory, but there is one for G. Karanjee & Sons:

One final observation for now, and that is that whilst Chatur Bihari & Bros did appear amongst the list I put up from Kelly’s Directory of Merchants, Manufacturers and Shippers of the World for 1940, they’re not obviously in Thacker’s Indian Directory for 1937-38 or the one for 1940-41. Anyhow, if I can I’ll have a look at all the different companies in the Thacker’s lists to see if there are any possibles for those badge makers where we only have their initials on the marks, as in some of Marcus’s examples, and if I think there are any promising candidates I’ll be sure to put them up here too.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”