View Single Post
Old 21-02-14, 11:47 PM

Default Kelly’s 1940 Directory of Merchants, Manufacturers and Shippers of the World

Hello Thomas

I was pleased to hear you thought the entries from Kelly’s Directory of Merchants, Manufacturers and Shippers of the World of 1940 were of interest, and that the one for ‘Industrial Factory & Lock Works’ was of particular use to you. I’d certainly agree that there is nothing to suggest that all the lock makers listed also made cap badges, or that those that made badges in Aligarh were only lock makers; I did mention there is nothing to say the list I put up was comprehensive in any way, shape or form, and I wasn’t suggesting otherwise. It is merely a useful list of firms in Aligarh, some of which do seem to have made cap badges around the time of the Second World War.

However I should point out that of all the other categories in the Directory under Aligarh, the only ones that could be classed as metal workers were those given as being ‘Lock Manufrs’. For information the other listings were for ‘Agents–Manufrs’, ‘Banks & Bankers’, ‘Boot & Shoe Mers’, ‘Brick Manufrs’, ‘Chemists & Druggists’, ‘Cloth Mers’, ‘Diary Produce Mers & Exporters’, ‘Electric Supplies Mers’, ‘Electrical Engineers & Importers’, ‘Engineers–Mechanical’, ‘Gramophone Dealers’, ‘Importers & Exporters’, ‘Merchants–General’, ‘Mineral Water Manufrs’, ‘Oil Manufrs’, ‘Oli (Castor) Manufrs’, ‘Sationery Mers & Importers’ and ‘Watch Manufrs’. Anyway, since making my last posting about this I’ve made a renewed effort in this respect, and have found another good source for companies in Aligarh, which I’ll post up shortly.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 21-02-14 at 11:52 PM.