View Single Post
Old 22-01-16, 02:07 AM

Wink

Hello Silverwash,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I appreciate the comments. Couple things I'd like to mention that may or may not influence you or anyone else’s decision, but you can take some time to digest what I have to say.

I have acquired copies of all the manufacturing documentation and correspondence between the military and Canadian beret manufacturers for the duration of WW2. The files contain things such as monthly production volumes of all the colours produced, materials used, etc... Unfortunately it doesn’t specify what material was used for the grommets. Only the size of the grommets and that they are metal. Each Canadian maker used a very unique style grommet in their production as can be seen if you compare the two primary Canadian makers.

So, the next best thing is to try to find some photographic evidence and "sampling" of certain beret makers. I made a point of inspecting close to a couple hundred Canadian WW2 berets over the years in my search for some answers. These berets came from several sources such as veterans, headgear collections, Legions, military shows, and berets in my personal collection.

During my search, magnetic grommets were consistent. I did come across several Grand Mere para berets with brass grommets and other materials such as aluminum and unfortunately ALL have been post-war put-together berets. (liner swap) Some of these berets were in the hands of experienced collectors and unfortunately they missed the fine details of what to search for, of no fault of their own. Original cap badges have assisted with blinding some collectors. I have photographed each of these put-together berets in detail to add to my research file.

Many of these beret liner swaps can deceive most collectors, simply because they are not sure what exactly to look for. There are a few members on this and other forums who can attest to me looking at their para beret collection. This process of elimination is simply my observation and opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and more than welcome to do the leg work. I will not be disclosing the details of what exactly to look for on any forum but would be more than happy to inspect any Canadian para beret in person for some feedback.

I would however love to see the beret you mention found in “CANUCK”, you say it has brass grommets? You never know, upon inspection of that beret, it may be a game changer for me but until then, I will stick to my guns.

Cheers