Thread: Scanner Example
View Single Post
Old 06-10-08, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Chris, How did you get around the depth of field issue? I have tried this with my scanner, and only some parts are in focus.
Hi Bill,

It's probably because your scanner is not a dedicated scan only unit and I would guess that it has no depth of field at all past that of a sheet of paper.

I also have a 'three in one' item that is only good for scanning paperwork and has no depth of field and cannot be used for scanning badges and the like.

What you need to do is look at some dedicated (scanner only) units like my Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO which has a depth of field adequate for scanning of badges and the like. I believe they were made this way so that thick books could be scanned at the hinge area where the text 'falls away' due to curving of the paper here.

This thing is though, is that scanner makers have yet to wake up to using their scanners like this and do not sell them as such so Joe Public has no idea if a particular scanner has enough depth of field to do the job. However, most EPSON units even old ones are more than adequate but do some tests first.

If you look at many nature articles many of the images of leaves, flowers etc are now taken by scanners. I have even seen coral examples which look pretty good too.

I have attached some scans of a Type 1 S-Boot badge as it is a heavily vaulted badge but one can see all parts are in focus. As such, I would guess that most badges except those with very long lugs would be captured OK.

Regards

Chris