View Single Post
Old 26-09-08, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Chris,

I have a number of 1958 pattern badges (23rd London, some 1958-68 Inf bdes, Roughriders) which were not in use in 1973 but have Bham marks. There is a strong possibility that Gaunts sold these badges in the 1970s using old stock (but new sliders) or even restruck them. The abundance and pristine condition of these badges indicates that they were not worn but have been sold in bulk.

However where the market would be for some of the common Inf bde badges mystifies me? Perhaps I will put a list together with dayes of wear for comment.

Alan
This just gets more and more mystifying all the time. Yes, they could have sold them on but would they have removed the old sliders to replace with the B'HAM ones? There will be damage to see if this occured.

I would suggest that they restruck them but why?

I'm currently going through my entire collection and recording all makers marks (if any) with a view to trying to reconciling them with the date of existance of the unit they represent. I expect this to take some time and it looks like you are a bit ahead of me in this but we need to record it all, account for it and try to workout what it all means.

I have noticed that it appears that JR GAUNT B'HAM seem to be the most common in my Infantry badges.

This will all take some time.

Regards

Chris