View Single Post
Old 31-08-08, 07:20 AM

Hi David. Yes, of course you are quite right, and I apologise unreservedly for conveniently forgetting the Seaforth family origins of both the 72nd & 78th Foot. Mea Culpa.
However, as far as the identification of Ian's badge is concerned, I am unrepentant and would humbly submit that all the other evidence to which I refer (particularly the photos and the provenance of Col.Clarke's artifacts) makes a fairly conclusive case. I'm afraid I agree with PB ..what more do you want ? "..a single item of uniform accoutrement.." you have one ! Incidently, Col. Angus Fairrie, who wrote the book to which PB refers and whom you so curtly dismiss, was curator of the Queens Own Highlanders Museum for over 20 years. He is retired now, but I don't think you will get a more authoritative opinion than his on this subject.
Well, that's it from me for now, although like yourself, I shall be curious to learn what others have to say on this. My thanks to Ian for the weight details which I did not have previously. Best of luck to you all. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 31-08-08 at 09:38 AM.