View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfrench View Post
Hi David

I am assuming you have acquired the later white-metal dragoon helmet. All of the reference books quote that this helmet was worn by the regiment from 1875 (I suspect incl Rowe). The first to publish picked a likely date and everyone else and follow on but incorrectly.

These helmets were presented to regiment by Col Van de Weyer in 1884 to replace the earlier black japanned one

I can provide further details of the press reports if you wish

Andew
Berks Yeomanry Museum
Hello Andrew,

Yes, you are correct, it is the white metal version of the helmet to the RBYC that i recently acquired. David Rowe, in his book states that the black japanned helmet was adopted by the RBYC in 1852 (pp. 137) and that then, was replaced in 1887 (pp.138) by the white metal helmet. So, from what you have said, the white metal version of the helmet was adopted three years earlier in 1884? Absolutely, if you can provide the press reports and any other information regarding either version of the helmets that were in service with the RBYC it would be appreciated and invaluable! I have looked at the Royal Berks Museum on-line, you have a marvelous collection of uniforms and helmets! I will privately message you with an e-mail address to send any relevant information to. i will be posting pictures of the helmet here on the Forum when it arrives.

Thank you in advance for your information.

Kind regards,

David