View Single Post
Old 03-04-20, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Lockett View Post
Hi Doug

The fully embroidered Ninth AF is British made. There are many examples including bullion embroidered.

I should of clarified my comment in regards to the use of SSI. I have seen images of the use of American SSI by British personnel in other operations at HQ level, they were Liaison staff.

First Allied Airborne SSI/Formation Sign was worn by Allied HQ staff.

Your grandfather more likely have worn British Airborne or First Allied Airborne Command Formation Sign, your records will show what he wore.

Because he had a connection as liaison team, the patches make a good tribute/display to his service to the Allied cause and would go well with his Formation signs, cloth shoulder titles he wore, thruought the war years.

Its not uncommon for individuals to have been given US patches as souvenirs. Whether he was able to wear it would of been another matter.

Would you have images of him wearing insignia during this period?

Phill
Thank you for clarifying regarding the fully embroidered 9th AF patch. I had noticed that the design of the wings was similar to other UK-made 9th AF patches (which is a bit different to that on US-made patches I have seen online), but did not know that fully embroidered patches were also produced in the UK. I am actually happy to learn that it is UK-made

Regarding photos, unfortunately there are few surviving photos from my grandfather's Army service, and none from this period, so I cannot check photographic evidence. I have actually been trying to find any photos of the British Airborne liaison staff, attached to IXth TCC in 1944, but have so far 'drawn a blank'.