View Single Post
Old 14-01-20, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The Royal Berkshires definitely didn’t use a red backing during WW1, Paul, but adopted one at a later point. The patches were all connected with the same action at Paoli Tavern, of which Brandywine was a part, and relate to a night attack on an unsuspecting camp by a composite light battalion comprising the flank companies of a number of regiments, including forebears of the DCLI and RBR.
I thought I had posted earlier but in case it is of interest, the Royal Berkshires did not adopt a 'Brandywine Distinction' until 1934 (according to the post-war regimental history, this was intended as a boost to recruiting). It would seem that the Berkshires 'borrowed' the tradition of the 46th/2nd DCLI relating to the action at Paoli Tavern first published in 1851. In both cases the regiments put the emphasis on the earlier battle at Brandywine Creek, rather than the attack at Paol Tavern.

The regimental records of the 49th were lost in Canada in 1814 so references for the AWI period are sketchy. However, the 49th (later 1st Berkshires) did feature in costly fighting in Knyphausen's diversionary attack at Chadd's Ford on Brandywine Creek, and Captain Wolfe of the Light company was the only officer killed at Paoli Tavern ten days later, one of the three fatal casualties in that notoriously successful operation, so I suppose the Brandywine Distinction or "Flash' can be thought to commemorate that phase of the campaign as a whole.