View Single Post
Old 09-09-21, 06:42 AM
LYPAO Boff

Default 17th Lancers (Old Gaunt)

Hi All

A new acquisition.... broken you say ..... but a belter none the less! This is a rare beast in any condition.

17th Lancers Officer, i think its solid silver (if not its certainly plated) ..... and I think its the large collar (basically the Cap Motto size) worn in the Vic/Ed period. If it was hallmarked it would have been in the missing bones.

** UPDATE*** :- the loops were definitely short "D" loops. Its silver plate.... as you can see the back of it retains the silver plate and the face of it is mostly down to the white metal.

.....this is how it would have looked. Note the factory cut voids between the cheeks and top bones..... hence the above bones breaking under the stress of polishing. The example below was described as "Sterling Silver" in the auction info with no back image.... so I am assuming no hallmark? Its also has x3 loops N/E/W.

.....here is an image of the large collars being worn in the Edwardian Imperial period. (see more here https://www.paoyeomanry.org.uk/Motto/Gaunt1.htm )

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 12-09-21 at 01:00 PM.