View Single Post
Old 30-12-20, 11:06 PM

Greetings again.
It’s unfortunate that the replacement fittings on the rear of the 2 blank scroll badge are poorly done.

I have and have seen several Essex badges, as well as badge to other units, on which the fixings were replaced with a brooch type fitting. I suspect that some were done as a quick fit Sweetheart type badge, but I also think that some were adapted this way to fit in forage caps.

The reversed metal badge is an extremely scarce item, one of only a handful or so that I know of. Great to see another one. Yours looks as it has been well used and seen some service wear.

The 1st Officer’s silver badge, very nice, what is the date on the hallmark?
The 2nd may be simply a poor casting and not a casting from another, the front looks fine to me.
The 3rd is probably a Gaunt made badge.
I agree with you re the 3rd OSD, it does look somewhat suspect, a tad flimsy and the blade fixings look very amateurish.

Onto the collars: the top right pair are 2nd pattern Eagles, the bottom row has I believe a pair of 3rd pattern Eagles and possibly a single mess jacket collar.
The Eagles aren’t the easiest to sort out, apart from the 1st pattern, due to similarities and dates of use.
If you have a copy of Colin Churchill’s Collar badge book, this will explain things better than I can.

The Shoulder titles all look good, and as Simon stated, one of the WMs may be plated; the only WM shoulders I have and have seen are a pair for 4th VB.
The Cadet items aren’t all that common.

Again, a nice collection all round.
Regards.

Brian