Thread: KOSB in aa ?
View Single Post
Old 28-05-10, 07:33 AM
Former Member

Default Welsh Guards Beret Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi Chris,

Basically, I have a white metal EIIR version and an A/A, EIIR version of the KOSB's and I wanted to know if they were both genuine, the wm version came from one of the straightest men you could meet but it's validity was brought into doubt, I think now it has been confirmed as being ' good '.

Obvously, I hope the A/A badge is good too.........

Dave.
Dave,
thanks for the "Honest" tag... I can see the arguement for ony Anodised Aluminium KOSB being "Official" issued badges however, the Wm QC KOSB was certainly worn by members of that Regiment, SO PUT IT BACK IN YOUR COLLECTION - AGAIN!

A good example of private purchase badges being worn for general use is The Welsh Guards. I can speak with confidence that the follow is "FACT"... In the late 1970's, prior to a tour of Northern Ireland the Welsh Guards adopted an embroidered ORs beret badge. It was a PRI item, but individuals had to purchase them as they were not provided by the "Public Purse!". (this is still the case!).

These cloth beret badges have been worn by the Battalion ever since. As for the Forage Cap all ORs wear a Brass Leek, again a PRI item. Anodised badges are still issued to recruits and as replacement items in the Battalion. The odd individual will wear a "Stay bright" badge in the Forage Cap, but in general the Brass Leek is worn.

I was an OR in The Welsh Guards from 1980-2005 and NEVER wore an anodised cap badge!

I've attached a scan of an article I wrote about Welsh Guards Badges for "Crown Imperial" back in 1996 (sorry for the quality of the image, scan was too big to upload).

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG3889.jpg (78.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 28-05-10 at 07:42 AM.