Thread: KOSB in aa ?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-10, 05:09 PM

Dave, I agree with you, a badge worn by a soldier is "genuine" regardless of it being issued or purchased.
By way of more detail, some Officer's badges (but not all) appeared with NSNs as issue items in the COSA for 1984 (and probably a little earlier) but before that and when officers had to purchase their service dress uniforms they were made to measure by the civilian approved tailors and hatters. Gieves and Hawkes, Herbert Johnson etc. The tailor also supplied the badges for the uniform or headdress purchased from various approved manufacturers. Some officer's badges, especially embroidered beret badges, are still not issued and have to be purchased. I think the thing with books like Bloomers with pictures and and not too much text is that they photographed what was available from collections. In this case a KOSB white metal QC cap badge. Memory is fading but I am pretty sure I saw KOSB soldiers wearing such badges in the 70s-90s when I was serving. These large type anodised badges were prone to being scratched and damaged to a metal version was more "soldier proof" and would be worn with pride! So keep your badge!

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 10-02-10 at 09:37 PM.