View Single Post
Old 13-10-18, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
Have now taken delivery. Definitely gilt, and a quality finish. Plus I have a lot of confidence in the person who had it before me. Perhaps originally had two lugs on the flames looking at the finish. Overall I like it. A lot... Just wish I knew exactly what it was!!

It is the standard cap badge grenade size. Their view was Officer's forage cap. Would love to be able to positively confirm that (or the alternative if not)
The officers and staff sergeants (incl WOs after 1881) had a bullion wire cap badge on their forage caps from at least 1850 until the latter started to wear a beret upon the demise of the Welsh Bde. Officers continued to wear forage caps with a bullion badge. Similarly the bullion badge was worn on the officers field service cap (aka side hat). My only thought is whether this badge might have been a sergeants field service cap badge in the 1890s iteration of that style of cap. It might also be something unique to one of the auxiliary forces battalions. I have never seen it’s like before and it’s the second OR style (metal) RWF cap badge for which I have been able to find no explanation.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 13-10-18 at 08:02 PM.