Thread: SLIDERS
View Single Post
Old 27-04-20, 07:48 PM

Excellent idea for a thread - long overdue.

Perhaps I might start the ball rolling with a few observations relating to F. E. Woodward sliders?

W 8.jpg

The dimensions of Woodward sliders, taken from the forty-odd examples in my collection, all fall within the following parameters:

Length: 38.5mm to 39mm
Width at bend: 5mm to 5.5mm
Width 3mm from bottom end: 4mm
Thickness: just over 1mm

W 9.jpg

Tapering gently inward from the top end to the bottom, the vast majority have a characteristic crimp close to the bend, though there are examples which bear no crimp whatsoever:

W 1.jpg

Not all Woodward sliders are marked with the company name. Excluding Woodward-made Queen's Royal West Surrey badges, approximately 13% of the badges in my collection are unmarked:

W 2.jpg

Given that the Woodward crimp can, on occasion, be recklessly deep, some sliders appear to have been strengthened/repaired at point of manufacture by means of a blob of braze over the crimp itself:

W 3.jpg W 4.jpg

Conversely, some crimp marks can be quite shallow and not nearly as deep as others:

W 7.jpg

But by and large, the vast majority of Woodward sliders bear the characteristic crimp and the company name, though the orientation of the Woodward mark is not always consistent:

W 6.jpg

There are also fake Woodward sliders, some of which are seen more frequently than others; one which springs immediately to mind is the Rydal School OTC badge. I have a small archive of images depicting questionable Woodward sliders/badges, which I will endeavour to add/upload in due course.

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 28-04-20 at 12:49 AM.