View Single Post
Old 01-02-15, 04:46 PM

This is a very enlightening thread for me.

It was my assumption that as the 'JR Gaunt, Montreal' included the City of Montreal in its title, then the badges were made there.

From what Warstone says he seems to believe they were in fact NOT. I am not arguing with that but would like to know for sure, if anyone can confirm whether JR Gaunt did actually manufacture in Montreal or not.

I have got a "JR Gaunt, Montreal" plaque on a British made "TF" Artillery cap badge with an applied CANADA top scroll. So there are two conclusions that can be made from that.

1. It was made in the UK, then shipped to Canada to have the top CANADA scroll applied and a 'JR Gaunt, Montreal' plaque applied also
or
2. It was all made and altered in the UK, them shipped complete to Canada.

Charlton No- 140 -1-2, covers the existance of these badges, but doesnt confirm where the alterations were done, other than to say GAUNT.

I have a RCHA shoulder title with a STAMPED in makers mark of ,"J.R.GAUNT, MADE IN ENGLAND". I havent seen this on a plaque.

So, is there a difference in Country of origin for the JR Gaunt mark with the added 'Made in England', or were all made in England.

Confusing isnt it.

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges