View Single Post
Old 19-09-18, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
An associated question, is who wore the Infantry Branch badge? If the Tri-service badge was worn by recruits, when was the Infantry Branch badge worn?
When I did my service, in the days of red coats and muskets, the Infantry Branch badge was worn by officer candidates (without any other affiliation) going through Phase II and Phase III training at the infantry department of the CAS.

Staff at the department wore their regimental cap badge.

Infantry officer candidates came from various sources. Those from the military colleges wore the military college mailed-fist badge. Candidates from Militia regiments (and who were to return to the Militia) wore their regimental cap badge, headdress, and kilts, if appropriate. We even had candidates from logistics, administration, engineers, communication and intelligence undergoing Phase II infantry training wearing their branch badge. They went to their branch schools for Phase III.

I don't recall ever seeing a candidate from a civilian university ROTP at CAS, so I can't say what they would have worn.

Infantry OR's, in the days before battle schools, were trained by the regiments. Those at 1RCR were badged RCR after four (as I recall) weeks of training.

I could not say when the Infantry Branch badge was introduced, but it was there in 1977.

Cheers,
Dan.