View Single Post
Old 09-04-08, 09:25 AM

Default British Legion Victorian Crown

DEAR ALL, There is an on going debate of the QVC badges and letter stamps.

I have been looking at a collection of BL/RBL cap/beret badges and noticed that there are 2 QVC badges for the BL women's service.

Before the introduction of the Beret for male standard bearers and the "Pillbox" style hat for females, I believe the men wore bowler hats BUT what did the lady's wear?? When did female standard bearers start?

So were the QVC badges worn only on caps by the Band's, commissionaires, attendants, BLVPF, etc? If so, where do the 2 QVC badges for the women's service come into it? Did the aforementioned groups have female members or were these badges made for "local" use by a branch or club?

We have had some talk about the Letter stamps on the back of badges and we have seen the following letters- A, B, G, H, (L), followed by numbers i.e. A1234.
Do we have a list of what the actual letters stand for?
I would have said that A is Associate, G for Gold, etc but would B be used for the band and H? Honorary? I have recently brought a QVC gilt badge with lug fixings that is stamped with H 560.

Is there a letter L for Life member or has any one seen any other stamped letters? Do we know if all the badge makers at the time brought these QVC backings and added their own Legion badge to it? I have only seen JR GAUNT London on any of these had only one's with a slider fixing.
Can anyone throw any light on this
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)