View Single Post
Old 12-04-20, 09:48 AM

Default West Kent Yeomanry / Kent Cyclists

From one quandary on Lambournes / Lambourne & Co marks to another.

Here are the two badges the from different dies mentioned above. As you can see they’re significantly different in their fine detail but the overall design - a rearing horse on a scroll inscribed Invicta in WM - is the same.

I’ve also attached the images from KK. The first with a more horizontal gaze is listed as WKY whilst the second with its head angled up purports to be Kent Cyclist Battalion.

Bosley’s sold a badge, Lot 465 in their 25th Jan 2017 sale, - https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...4-a6f800dbc6f6 which matches the first badge shown (WKY) but was advertised as Kent Cyclists?

It does seem the second badge is more common than the first but whether it’s safe to draw inferences from this I’m unsure at present.

From Ticker’s research we know Lambourne were a significant WW1 manufacturer. And I’m yet to see a badge with a Lambourne mark that can be categorically dated post WW1 which suggests there’s a strong chance they were a wartime only maker. In which case why cut two dies so similar?

Does anyone have any suggestions or information that may help?

(picture on the red background courtesy of David Smith - British Army Badges)

Last edited by Luke H; 12-04-20 at 10:00 AM.