View Single Post
Old 02-02-20, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Yes it's not identical as it has a sldier but it does show the design was worn in the beret. Whether it was just WOs or all SNCOs I am not sure. The other ranks certainly wore the issued full sized RUR badge.

Bosleys lot went for £70 plus commission.
Alan,

the badge you show is the "traditional" OSD design and as Luke mentions is a different design to the main subject of this thread. I have seen at least one photo of the left OSD collar badge worn in the caubeen, the image below is taken from https://www.royal-irish.com/persons/...e-mc-brigadier. I can't be certain of the finish but it does not appear bronzed to me from this image.

There is a second image in the book "A New Battlefield: The Royal Ulster Rifles in Korea, 1950-51" , 2013 by David Orr , David Truesdale. My copy is in storage and I can't remember if it is a different photo/officer or not.

Regarding the other badge, I bought the example on "Dead Spartan" last year. It is a cast, heavy, silvered badge with loops north and south and is shown below. it is 40mm x 30mm approx.I do have it with me and took some hasty images below (first and second from the right).

David Linaker had one in his collection which he catalogued as "Regimental Badge: As for official white metal cap badge with Tudor Crown but only 42mm height, like the 1st and 2nd Patterns. Possibly worn in India post 1913 in the Field Cap. See similar badges for the Rifle Brigade". David's was in WM with a slider and was 42 x 30mm approx. I have an image of the front but not the back. His badge is second from the left below,

I have not made any time to study it yet. I am relatively certain at this time that it was not used in the FSC or Caubeen post 1939. I have many photo references and it does not appear. I suspect that if it is bone fide it is a post 1900 and pre second world item. That's all I can add for now.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m190_korea_mccord_mns_lt_08_2.jpg (72.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 3L83ARUR DL.jpg (68.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg RIR WM Front.jpg (59.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg RIR WM back.jpg (67.2 KB, 37 views)