View Single Post
Old 07-10-14, 05:19 PM

Default Fake Comparison

Something I've been meaning to do for a while and have promised a few of you I would do it. Sorry for the delay.

However, I have finally picked up a modern copy 16th Welsh collar badge for comparison with my originals. The delay was mainly because I was too mean to pay over the odds for a copy.

The 1st photo shows said copy snuggled in amongst four genuine examples. As has been remarked on previously the modern copy is actually better struck than the originals. It's the bottom centre example. The top right example has been coated in something but I'm not tempted to clean it as it's the other half of the pair to the one on its left and came from the family of the man to whom they belonged.

When you look at it in comparison to the genuine examples you will see that there are so many obvious differences between them that there really should be no need for mistakes as to what is real and what is not.

The easiest way to remember is that on the genuine one the goat's horns return down the back of the neck & you should not be able to see any detail on the face of the seahorse. Also the font on the title scroll is completely different and usually contains ghosting of the first three letters.

The 2nd photo shows a direct comparison between a genuine example and the copy, while the 3rd & 4th photos show the back and what is often referred to as the "jelly mould" appearance of the genuine badge i.e distinctly undefined.

The makers details are provided at the start of this thread.

Hope this proves useful to some.

Cofion gorau,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02488.jpg (68.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02496.jpg (80.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02497.jpg (65.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02494.jpg (74.4 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by 41st; 06-02-18 at 01:17 PM.