British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Royal Naval Motor Boat Reserve (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76847)

Postwarden 17-01-20 11:06 AM

Royal Naval Motor Boat Reserve

5 Attachment(s)
Two photos and some badges from this short-lived WWI RN Branch.

Jon

Spitace41 17-01-20 12:31 PM

Very nice. I believe these chaps operated motor boats that had been requisitioned from civilians for the War effort? I have a couple of sweetheart brooches from this unit. Thanks for showing.

Sonofacqms 17-01-20 06:49 PM

RNMBR cap badge

I believe that the metal versions of this unit are fakes, could someone comment on this?

Rob

xrayrifle 16-02-20 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 497561)
Two photos and some badges from this short-lived WWI RN Branch.

Jon

Pretty interesting to learn about this apparently short lived unit of the RN.
Were these requisitioned pleasure boats and used more as utility craft than being converted to use in a combat role?

Thankful to have my knowledge of this unit increased by one hundred percent.

Bruce.

engr9266 16-02-20 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 497585)
I believe that the metal versions of this unit are fakes, could someone comment on this?

Rob

I just brought one today at Farnham....I did not pay a lot for it though.
Jerry

Luke H 16-02-20 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 500602)
I just brought one today at Farnham....I did not pay a lot for it though.
Jerry

Sadly I strongly suspect these are fantasy badges. I’ve never seen a period photo of one being worn and so far as I can tell the first book they appear in is the Martin Marsh fake catalogue, no. 211.

Postwarden 02-04-20 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another variation of the RNMBR badges with an unusual type of curved blade propeller and just the letters MBR. The cap details are too indistinct.

Jon

Guzzman 04-04-20 08:08 AM

Like others on here I'm inclined to think that the metal RNMBR badge is a fantasy piece, but everytime I say that there is always someone who says 'I have one and its genuine'! I don't like to cause offence but I still believe they are all fakes.

Has anyone ever seen a picture of one actually being worn? There are lots of images of personnel wearing the cloth badges, so how come there are none of them wearing the metal ones? And there are literally thousands of them on the market!

And I thought it might be of interest to provide a very little background information on the RNMBR.

The RNMBR had its origins in about 1910 when a debate began in the civilian yachting press concerning the desire of many yachtsmen to form some sort of volunteer organisation by which they could offer up the services of their craft, and themselves, in the event of hostilities. It was recognised that this sort of service would likely be in the form of local coastal patrol support for the regular navy.

Eventually the Admiralty agreed and in early 1914 they created a Motor Boat Reserve under the auspices of the RNVR. A training programme was proposed, as was an organisational system. However, very little had been achieved before the outbreak of war in August 1914.

With the commencement of hostilities everything changed. Small power boats were chartered and their owners given commissions as temporary officers in the RNVR. These officers enrolled their own crews, who were supplied with a Service Certificate. The RNMBR was affiliated to the RNVR for reasons connected with statutory powers, but was administered separately. Its duties were "for services during the War, for patrol and despatch work, etc., or such duties as the Admiralty may from time to time direct." Officers and men came under the Naval Discipline Act.

Organised into sections around the coast, the RNMBR craft served as 'trot boats' for the Fleet and for inshore and river patrol. Several of these craft crossed the Channel and assisted the Army where fighting was near canals or rivers. In September 1914 the Yacht Patrol was organised to patrol British coastal waters. Some of the officers and men on board these yachts were members of the RNMBR. Later other converted yachts were taken through the French canals to the Mediterranean.

Many of the craft used by the RNMBR were not really suitable and they were eventually replaced by a new class of Motor Launches (ML's). These were manned by the RNVR - many of whom had originally been members of the RNMBR. Eventually the RNMBR title was dropped and the men and boats became fully incorporated into the Auxiliary Patrol of the RNVR.

Pete

Guzzman 04-04-20 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And since this is the photographic section of the forum, here is a photo of the sort of small power boats used by the RNMBR.

Pete

Guzzman 04-04-20 09:21 AM

And here is a photo of an RNMBR Motor Mechanic from my collection. It gives a clear image of the cap badge worn.

Pete

Sorry! Forgot to add the image!!

Guzzman 04-04-20 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the image.

mike_vee 04-04-20 11:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found a photo of a 'badge' described as "Royal Navy Motor-Boat Reserve" :confused: , it looks like a 'sweetheart' brooch.

http://militarybadgecollection.com/2...royal-navy.htm

..... then found a photo from "Great Western Railway Magazine" which confused me.

royston 27-03-22 05:02 PM

RNMBR Metal badge

1 Attachment(s)
I know that this is still a very controversial subject and I agree that all badges I have seen to date appear to be "fantasy badges" but the one I have is different since it has loops instead of blades and looks genuine. I would like to know if anyone has found a similar one with loops. My badge was acquired in 1988 for nothing more than the loan of a book.

I know that years ago I had seen RNMBR cloth badges in a stock book (Royal William Yard Devonport) that never went into production, or at least I have never seen them with any dealer, an anchor with MBR being one example. B above the stock with M - R to the left and right of the stock.

I have other badges in my collection (not RNMBR) which are not listed but are shown being worn in a photograph. Maybe !!!!! a photograph will turn up.

As an aside an elderly RNMBR person I contacted, about 1988, could not remember the badge.

Listed elsewhere under another heading

My badge attached.

Luke H 30-03-22 08:53 PM

Your badge is from the same die as all the others.

The badges in the Martin Marsh catalogue often came with a variety of finishes and fixings.

I’m afraid nothing about yours makes me feel any differently to the others. A diagonal pic of the reverse looking at the loops would be helpful but to my eyes the north loop looks to have a foot and be quite modern.

The area around the attachments looks quite grey so they may be later replacements / alteration.

High Wood 31-03-22 08:18 AM

R.N.M.B.R.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=195506